Friday, October 18, 2013

Sharkbait

So many of you know from Facebook that our little darling has decided now is the time to grow a dagger in his mouth a scalpel for our fingers a tooth. Seriously, what is that thing made of, laser-sharpened ninja swords? It's like a single razor blade amidst the soft, gooey, slime filled cave that is our spawn's mouth.

And this is what he does with it. My son, Beaver Boy.
Now some might take this as a sign that it's time to start him on solid foods. I believe in signs too. Has everyone seen 'The Exorcist'? Ok, I haven't but I feel like I have after I've seen Athanasius' reaction to solid foods. Now that's a sign. We've tried different foods, different consistencies, nothin' doing. So for now he's EBF, which means Exclusively Breast Fed on the Mommy forums I totally don't read.

Obligatory 'highlight-his cloth-diapers-so-everyone knows how environmental-we-are' shot 
We seriously recommend Best Bottoms Brand though. These things are awesome.

Anyway, speaking of environmental...

We're rolling in the green, no?
Despite the fact that a local squirrel has taken to digging up the garden at his whim, including digging up garlic to replant it in a different spot of the garden, and making the radishes grow in a weird sink hole like formation, we are seeing the fruits of our labors. I'm glad we're actually using the resources God has given us (a.k.a. the backyard) because I keep running into articles now talking about stewardship, especially as distinct from supporting your parish. From the perspective that everything we have is a gift, it really was sinful the way I had just let this whole place go to seed. I wasn't taking good care of something God had given me. Now it's just the squirrel who isn' taking good care of what God has given me.

Plus, watching your food actually grow and see the work you have to put into it really makes you more grateful for what you do have...and that the Farmer's Market is just two minutes away.

Organic or not, he still refuses to eat it.
'Tase has gotten really into trying to stand, sucking on anything in reach, and sitting in tubs.

If he had one of our toes in his mouth he'd be in heaven.
I don't get the tub thing, but he really enjoys it.

Exhibit A. Also Exhibits B and C because there are only so many "rub a dub dub, Chunkers in a tub" comments you can make in one blog post without harming a kid's self esteem.
And the standing thing only happens for split seconds at a time. He really wants to be mobile. His attempts to 'pet' the cat might really be more 'attempts to get this thing to pull me around like Balto'.

Do you remember Balto?! And Rock-a-Doodle. And Big League Chew, Zebra Stripe Gum, Bill Nye, and Hey Arnold. Man...Rugrats...good times.

Anyway, there will be plenty of time for our own renditions of I Love The 90's later.

Even if some of us are all ready to take in a little Nickelodeon before bed... 
OrthoMom and I have finally started watching New Girl. It's made me realize that eventually people are going to stop wanting to watch TV shows. Someday studios will have to produce five seasons of a show all at once to get people to want to watch them. Then those same studios will cry when they find out they've just made what amounts to five season's of a show with the ratings of Greg The Bunny.

I've also thought, wouldn't it be cool if they had two shows like "How I Met Your Mother," one from the man's point of view, and one from the woman's, but nobody knew they were going to be together until the last season when the shows merged together? That'd be awesome, but with our luck one of my sisters would only like one of the shows and it would get cancelled. Every show she loves gets cancelled.

You know who you are. I'm going to blame you if Downton Abbey and Dr. Who go under.

Sometimes I geek out over knowing I'll get to introduce him, someday, to Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, and The Doctor.

His mother has already introduced him to the Enterprise...but we don't talk about that.

And so we conclude this week's glimpse into Aweso...I mean, OrthoFamily. On the 7th Month Anniversary of his escape from the womb your reigning prince wishes you all a good evening.

And that he could walk.

3 comments:

  1. I was all ready to give you major props for the Greg the Bunny reference, and then you went and messed it up by dissing the Enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just surprised you let the mommy forums slide, and really, now, you've missed the opportunity. C'est la vie.

    Every night I pray that the Enterprise will be erased from the world's memory. I pray for it in between the Our Father and the Nightly Troparia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you just lost half your readers with that last insult. You wound me, Crawdad, you wound me.

    ReplyDelete