Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Smash Cake Photos

I know, I know. I'm really sorry. Life has been insane lately. But this is one of my favorite weeks of the year, and I had to share how we celebrate. That means that I owe you the photos of his birthday party from...a month ago. So first thing's first.

I forgot the camera when we drove down south to celebrate the day Li'l Athanasius erupted into this world, completely (unwantedly) quietly. So all I think I have photos of is him devouring his smash cake that my mother so graciously took for us, and a few of his birthday presents from my sister. So here's his birthday:

You start with a sugar free, gluten free, birthday cake frosted with cream cheese sweetened with applesauce, then feel guilty that your kid gets banana bread (basically) for his birthday and pour on a bunch of sprinkles.
The Younglings who have undergone this Rite of Passage circle around as the ritual sacrifice is begun.
At first, the celebrant is hesitant. 
He does not realize the entirety of the sacrificial feast, and believes it contains only sweet, creamy cheese.
But soon, his bloodlust is triggered.
Wild, majestic animals are summoned to feed on the wasted goods which are slung around in a display of pleasure.
And, at some point, the kid will realize "this feels gross between my fingers."
But he will press on! And finish the final layer of bread-cake-stuff with a belch of glorious satisfaction.
The adults of the tribe, having seen what his vicious little hands can do, will attempt to appease him with gifts...
...and loving sayings.
Some are meant to be used in the cleansing baths, where their froggy eyes will creep out anyone who forgets they are there while washing shampoo out of their eyes, and then open aforementioned eyes and find themselves staring into the ribbiting abyss of toadly terror. 
And some will be books, which the adults will submit their child to before he goes to bed.
That's all, folks! Thank you to everyone who came and helped with Athanasius' first birthday. Tune in (hopefully) tomorrow to see how we dye eggs for Pascha, and also upcoming, German Easter Bread, Pascha Baskets, and the Feast of Feasts!

I hope everyone has a blessed Holy Week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment